Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Technique Tutorial-Distress Ink and Perfect Pearls Foil Fleck Background

PLEASE NOTE: Distress Ink and Perfect Pearls are not permanent on fabric and are only suitable for art projects that will not be laundered.

I loved experimenting with Perfect Pearls on my last fabric page for the SOCC Week Three Challenge. Inspired by Tim's "Perfect Splatter Distress" technique, I discovered a way to make the Pearls look like foil flecks on my fabric background.

I started by creating a layered background with Distress ink using Tim's "Wrinkle Free Distress" technique. If you are unfamiliar with this technique you can learn all about it and many other techniques by taking Tim's Creative Chemistry 101 and 102 online classes. You can find more information over at Online Card Classes.


I began with my lightest colour first, in this case Stormy Sky. Don't forget to iron the background (wool setting and no steam) from the right side between each colour addition.


Next I added Faded Jeans.


Finally I added Chipped Sapphire. I later also inked around the edges with Chipped Sapphire.
Next the fun begins with the Perfect Pearls.


I pounced Sunflower Sparkle all around the border of the heart. Check out my Technique Tutorial-Perfect Pearls on Fabric to see how I achieved this.
To create flecks, simply pinch some Pearls between your thumb and fore finger and sprinkle it over the Distress Ink background. Be sure to vary the blobs of Pearls but don't make then too big. I used both Forever Red and Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls.


 This picture gives you an idea of the size of the sprinkled blobs.
Next, using a Mini Mister, spritz lightly but thoroughly all over the Perfect Pearls with water. Make sure the Pearls are wet but not flooded.
To make them look like foil flecks, take an iron on a wool setting, no steam and iron on the right side with an up and down motion over the Pearl blobs. The Pearls seem to melt into the background and become shiny. Flip the fabric over and iron on the wrong side as well. Any excess Pearls will come away and you will be left with little shiny foil like flecks.


This is how it looks after you iron your background fabric. Magical!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will try it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment