Thursday, June 30, 2016

Tutorial - How To Make A Non-Slip Fabric Board

I find it much easier to colour fabric with ink and a sponge dauber when my fabric is held securely in place. The way I achieve this is to use a non-slip fabric board. They are quick, easy and inexpensive to make.


You will need an MDF rectangle placemat (mine measures 29 x 21cms or 11 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches), a sheet of wet and dry fine sandpaper and some low tack masking tape.


Simply centre the sandpaper on the placemat and fold the side edges to the back. Secure in place with low tack masking tape. 


All done. How easy was that!!
I use low tack masking tape so I can easily remove the sandpaper when it becomes too messy to be effective. I then simply replace it with a clean sheet. Because the sandpaper is wet and dry it will stand up to many applications of wet media.


Lay your fabric on top and the sandpaper grips it beautifully. It is important you use a fine grade of sandpaper to give you a smooth surface to work on.
You can make your board any size you like bearing in mind you may have to join your sandpaper sheets for larger boards.
I hope this helps you to make fabric art with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment